Focus on Fall: Planning for Success
July 13 @ 9:00 am - 10:00 am
This fall, “back-to-school” has an entirely different meaning for all of us. Even as we continue to plan meaningful learning to finish out this school year, so many questions loom about what’s next.
- How do we make up for lost time and catch kids up?
- What challenges can we anticipate and plan for?
- How do we start the year if we might not be with our kids face-to-face?
None of us knows what the future holds; what we do know is how to connect with students and support them to learn and grow.
This summer, the Math Institute is offering a three-week online course designed to help teachers navigate how to head back to school this fall, leveraging our strengths and the strengths of our students as we consider what mathematics instruction will look like, whether it’s face-to-face or from a distance/remote. Participants will explore and analyze their current curricular materials to plan instruction that keeps grade-level learning as a top priority and focuses on moving students forward, using equitable instructional practices to make sure that all learners have opportunities for success.
While we can’t control what school will look like in the fall, we know we are flexible, resilient, and willing to face challenges head-on to do what we can to support students. We hope that you’ll join us for this course, as we work together to continue to make mathematics learning meaningful.
Focus on Fall: Planning for Success
Online Course Dates: July 13 – 31, 2020
- Empower teachers to use current math materials to integrate unfinished learning coherently within grade-level expectations
- Consider a variety of instructional models (e.g., face-to-face, synchronous/asynchronous, digital/print) and how to plan for meaningful learning in any situation
- Connect and collaborate with a virtual professional learning community to prepare for fall
This 3-week course will energize you for the upcoming school year! Each week, we will connect through live meetings and a virtual platform to check in and connect at the times that work best for each of us. This course is all about you and your curricular resources!
- Participate in a 45-minute introductory session
- Engage in weekly 2-hour live, synchronous sessions via Zoom
- Participate in weekly online asynchronous coursework (6-8 hours) within your grade band, which includes posting on discussion boards, reacting to readings, providing feedback to fellow participants, and reflective responses to discussion posts via Schoology
Synchronous Session Schedule:
- Monday, July 13 9-9:45 am (all course participants)
- Tuesday, July 14 9-11 am (6-12 course participants)
- Wednesday, July 15 9-11am (K-5 course participants)
- Tuesday, July 21 9-11am (6-12 course participants)
- Wednesday, July 22 9-11am (K-5 course participants)
- Tuesday, July 28 9-11am (6-12 course participants)
- Wednesday, July 29 9-11am (K-5 course participants)
Course ends Friday, July 31
Course Credit: This workshop is available for university credit through our partnership with the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.
- This workshop will be offered for 3 graduate or undergraduate credits. Additional coursework will be provided based upon the credit option chosen.
- The cost per credit is $202 per undergraduate credit and $390 per graduate credit. (*pricing subject to change.)
CANCELLATION POLICY: Cancellations made more than 180 days prior to this event will receive a full refund minus a processing fee of $25. Cancellations made between 180 and 30 days of the event will receive a 50% refund minus a processing fee of $25. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made within 30 days of the event.
The deadline to register is July 9, 2020.
Need to register by check? Print the registration form in the link below and mail it with your payment.
Attn: Sherry Bucholtz Mathematics Institute of Wisconsin W233 N2080 Ridgeview Parkway Suite 100 Waukesha, WI 53188
***Please note that registration forms mailed without payment will not be processed until payment has been received. Registration is not complete until you have received your confirmation email.***